Saturday, May 28, 2011

MAC blog wk. Reading: The art of possibility

Once again, the Zanders excell with their "practices" in the chapters that were in the reading for this week.  Using the "one buttock" technique was funny, but it had a message:  play, work or do life with full attention to the important "stuff."  The cello player that didn't get one job because he played the first way, but got a better job when he played the second way (one buttock) for more pay drove the point home.
Also, doing things that are important, in person, does make a difference.  I weigh whether to make a phone call or see a person face to face.  Sometimes, it does make a difference.
The adage, "bloom where you are planted" came to mind when Ben talked about his experiences as a young conductor.  He has made all the difference where he is placed.  On a white piece of paper, he has fit the chord of life in proper sequence.  This class has been blessed with musicians this month.  A great group of people to work with!  I have enjoyed the class.

1 comment:

  1. @ Thomas


    Good points where hit in your post. The biggest thing that I find is that if you are face to face with someone, they can see your passion and read your body language so things will most likely turn out better than if you just did a phone call where all the person heard was your voice. There are times where doing a face to face with someone just cannot be, but if you can do it, it is better that you do. I think that chapter in the book was the most powerful for me as it was like affirming something I already practiced, which further steeled my resolve to continue on to do face to face where I could, not only at my workplace, but in other aspects of my life.

    ReplyDelete